LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Reliable Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post
Please elaborate.....
Leather Z sells a ZCP weighted shift knob that illuminates, and fits with very little modification. All you have to do is cut your stock boot/knob, and splice into two of your OEM wires. Other than that, you can always get a non-illuminated version, in which case you don't have to splice wires.

Benefit of a Leather Z is that it's illuminated. Disadvantage of course is that you have to tap into two wires and that you have to cut your stock boot off of your stock knob. For the RennSpec alcantara boot, all you need to do is take your car to RennSpec, then Jason will (reluctantly, 'cuz manual labor is beyond him ) pull your boot off of your boot ring and re-use your OEM boot ring, though of course, the BMW knob is not illuminated, and still requires tampering with your OEM boot. It seems a lot more reversible though, since if you want to put your boot ring back on your stock shifter, just go backwards right?

I know the BMW Performance Knob does not light up, but it feels great, and I don't even notice that the illumination is missing. I got the boot and knob to go with my BMW Performance Steering Wheel and BMW Performance Stainless Steel Pedals, since I was going for a BMW Performance interior theme.

The knob was a nice improvement given the cost, but I'd consider Rogue Engineering's SSK, if only to make it just that much better.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth.

Last edited by LateBraking; 05-25-2010 at 05:42 PM.