05-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
This is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact that I've seen before my eyes. Yes Marshall, I have used the Magic Eraser. I've reconditioned (sanded and redyed) at least five interiors that each customer tried to fix with a Magic Eraser. It's the same story each time: the ME worked several times before the leather's top coat gave way. I tested a ME several years ago on a E36 junker's driver's seat and I reproduced the same defect my customer's brought to me: worn down leather.

Do I think I could fix the steering wheel cleaner you linked to with just a water-based cleaner and a sponge? Of course not, and I never said I could. I would tell the customer two things: use the ME once and only once, or get a redye. The only time I'd recommend using the ME is when you have a severely damaged leather product that is steps away from needing a redye.

When you say you didn't see any Fox Red dye on your eraser, well no joke. Our seats have a top coat just like how our exterior paint has a clear top coat to protect the base coat (in the case of leather, dye). A gentle enough brush like the Swissvax Leather Brush will not abrade the top coat enough to cause damage unless you apply tremendous pressure. It will however exfoliate the leather's pores with GENTLE agitation. A sponge isn't capable of proper exfoliation, which is why your use of Leather Master failed. Don't blame the product for your failure to use it properly.

In typical you fashion you'll fight to the death over an opinion you have, no matter what kind of evidence you're faced with. When you bolded the "calling ME sandpaper" part of your response, you couldn't be any more incorrect. ME is the equivalent of 1500 grit sandpaper in my experience, and the "very fine sandpaper" description is on Melanine Foam's Wikipedia page and any other legitimate site that talks about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. However, you've said some totally false things.

One question: Have you actually used this product on leather? Do you have any first or second hand account of someone damaging their leather with this product?

I did do some further research on the material though. It is simply melamine foam. Have a look at this good information: here. I'm guessing you did't realize it is made basically of plastic, right? I'm also guessing you did not realize that it works like a brush (which you recommend) - a "micro brush" actually. But because of it's cage like microstructure it traps contaminants instead of spreading them around? Either way you are certainly incorrect that a brush "gets into the grain pattern better". This is the key reason the product works so well - the way the micro fibers get into the grain pattern. It is indeed categorized as slightly abrasive but it the only caution is for soft and shiny things, ones which you could easily see any damaging abrasive effects. It is also recommended for leather. Calling this product "very fine sandpaper" is definitely not an accurate characterization, any more so than calling a brush sandpaper. Brush something enough times and it WILL abrade it as well.

With my own use I found: Shiny parts of any leather - dark black/brown deposits in the Eraser. Guess what I found on the parts that get no contact and hence are already OEM-like in appearance - NOTHING. The product was not really removing anything OF surface, just FROM the surface. There certainly never was a trace of red color in anything that came off my seats.

Do you think you could have cleaned a steering wheel like the one I linked to with a brush and water based leather cleaner? Sorry but even without trying I would have to say no way.

I'll happily plod along with a 2 minute touch up cleaning once a year or so on the worst parts of my shiny leather. I'll be sure to let you know when all the color is gone and the leather is "sanded" away .

P.S. What part of this are you guys missing: Using the top recommended "Leather Master" trio, with the supplied foam sponge and MF towels, as per the exact instructions, did NOTHING to correct my basic problem??? Perhaps the brush you recommend is the missing link but that doesn't take away from the power of the Magic Eraser.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 05-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.