View Single Post
      05-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #51
edlin303
Private
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think I already given you a realistic idea. I've seen a hundred of those threads. In general terms it falls out like this for those that have the same depth of appreciation for cars as you do watches:

1. Buying an expensive car is stupid, the minute you drive it off the lot you lose 20%. You're lucky if you can get half your money back after a few years. A stupid, vain purchase.

2. Buying a nice mechanical watch is something you and then your son or daughter can enjoy for decades. A car? Trash in 10 years.

Of course, lots of people understand the attraction of cars, guns, watches, cameras, etc and just accept each for what it is and go with the flow as their personal tastes dictate. There appears to me (based on hobby site observation only) that many more people owning expensive watches also are into nice cars than vice versa. If one can own $100K plus worth of watches it usually means enough income to have more than one hobby or focus.

As far as a request for advice on a BBK or a Panny in a watch forum? The most common answer would certainly be one of these two: 1) WTF is a BBK? 2) Are you high?
Ok, 1 & 2 make it a bit clearer to me. Watch people look at it as an investment and/or heirloom, and see cars as a depreciating investment. That makes more sense than them thinking an M3 is the same as an Accord. I suspect the same people would choose a nice watch over a dream vacation, since it does not hold any residual value either.

I am much more interested in instant gratification, so the car makes more sense to me. I have no illusions it will be worth much when I am done with it, but am willing to pay the monthly bill as the cost of my driving enjoyment.

On the other hand, I personally place very little value in collectible items, so that helps explain why I am not a fan of watches I guess. As you said, being able to afford one usually means you can afford the other. It just isn't anything that has called out to me I guess.