View Single Post
      05-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #89
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I don't go around harrasing religious individuals, but I'm damn sure opposed to their organizations gaining any more control over this country than they already have, and that means being vocal with my views sometimes.
I think my views on organized religion are closer to yours than you think. I'm no fan of organized religion by any means. I just generally don't think it's appropriate to link every member of a faith to the actions of the radicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
No, but religions damn sure give them a very good reason to be violent, and it's been proven time and time again thoughout history. People are killed in the name of God every single day of the week, and to even suggest that religions don't contribute to violence on a large scale is absurd.
Of course organized religion is at the root of innumerable violent acts in the history of mankind. However, I think you are overrating mankind's ability to avoid violent conflict. Human nature itself will ensure that violence on epic levels will continue forever, regardless of whether or not religion is there as a justification.

I never suggested "religions don't contribute to violence on a large scale". I said people don't need religion to be violent. There's a gigantic and fundamental difference in those two statements. You don't have to tell me twice about the "hajis" in the sandbox who would gladly kill me and every member of my family in the name of their religion. I've seen 'em myself.