I got to Bombay (Mumbai's old name) quite often and I love it.
There is some truth to what the guys are saying but there is a lot of exaggeration.
Here are my tips:
- DO NOT give the beggars any money. They are all part of gangs/mafias. If you give one of them some money be prepared to be surrounded. My tip is to not even make eye contact. Just look away.
- Street food in Bombay is awesome. But you must have the stomach for it. Otherwise stick to the mid to high end places.
- Rent a car with a driver if you can. It will run you about $50 a day for a decent car.
- Take some toilet paper with you from the U.S. The stuff in Bombay is really bad quality and will scrape your skin off.
- DO NOT enter the poorer/slum areas. Being of Indian descent I can get away with it but they will eat you alive.
- DO NOT buy Gold there. Indian gold shops are notorious for their adulterating ways.
Things To Do:
- Hit the night spots. Bombay has some good nightlife and some really hot girls who can be gotten - they are very western in their outlook and 1 night stands are becoming more and more common.
- Hit the tourist traps - it is fun and they are all safe.
- If you realise you can handle it, then try out the following foods:
- Bhel Puri @ Elco Arcade
- Kebabs @ Bade Miyaas
- Frankies (basically a roll) from Quality frankies on Linking road
- Tandoori Crab @ Khyber
- Pav Bhaji @ Juhu Beach
Oh yeah, if you enjoy smokes, some good quality stuff can be found.