05-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #33
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
I think "quicker" or more responsive. When I put my foot into it, I want the car to move NOW. If the 4.10 does that, and makes me "feel" quicker - that is all I want.

I would actually love to see a 1/4 run video of stock 6MT vs 4.10 6MT.

I am less concerned with whether the 0-60 or 1/4 mile time is faster. When I drive, I want to be in the open space in the next lane on the highway RIGHT NOW and I don't want to wait for the torque to build to accellerate to get there.

- if the car pulls harder - that feels better to me
- If the revs build 25% faster to that sweet 5k+ RPM range - perfect, it means I don't have to wait as long to feel that OMG power....
- if I shift more, well that is ok too - the gears are pretty long in the 6MT.

End of Second is over the speed limit, end of 3rd is jail time.... I am not going to use the top end, I will use the 3-5k range for regular driving 90% of the time.

I think the 4.10 is what I would like to do. The only issue I see is how short 1st is... I love how fast that is... I hope the 4.10 doesn't wreck first....

The additional gas.... well, I will have to live with that.
I hear you - DCT owners like myself are lucky in this context given we have an extra cog and our gearing therefore in the higher gears is much more daily driver friendly.

If I had an MT car I probably would buy the 4.10 FD ratio to be honest - because the MT M3 just didn't inspire me enough as a daily driver coming out of an RS4 (a short shifter kit would also definitely be required as well)