View Single Post
      05-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
I mean I listen to everything (classic rock, rap, techno, blues, everything), so I have already heard a wide range of audio through the base system. I really would like an EQ, and I couldn't shell the extra out for the premium system, so I am just happy that my sound seems to be better than most earlier model owners have DESCRIBED (would like to see how they really sound for comparison).

Sure, it could probably use a bit more here and there, but unless you are turning it up so high that you can hear it 3 blocks away, I think it's fully capable of performing at high levels.
This is a common misconception in terms of evaluating audio. People always think that they don't need upgraded sound because they only listen a lower volumes. Well, that's really where more power and better speakers really make a difference. While you do get the ability to play louder, an OEM system is never meant to be played at "heard down the block" type levels so it will sound bad trying to do that no matter what system you have. At lower volumes the difference is significant and easily distinguished. So if you feel that good sound is something that you're willing to pay for even if you don't listen at high volumes, get the upgrade. If not, stick with the base system.

As always, if you're used to high end aftermarket systems, don't expect the same kind of performance from the upgraded system. You'll be disappointed. In that case, just get the base system and do an aftermarket upgrade.