View Single Post
      03-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #86
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
In a PM to me, Southlight brought up a question to me that hasn't been discussed in this thread. I believe many mid-west US gasolines have up to 10% ethanol additives. I'm not sure if the mid west gases still do this...but if they do, then what happens to a supercharger kit on it? I'm sure BMW tested on these mid-west gasolines with the ion knock sensors.

South also asked me if I believed Tightie's motor was blown by the meth -- and Drew asked me the same thing in a text message (and asked me to post my opinion). No, I don't believe the meth injection played a role in Josh's motor blowing -- I personally believe it blew for other reasons -- whether it was the ECU tuning or the bigger compressor Josh installed -- or both.
I got curious about this because I remembered the following BMW press release back from 2008. The background to this was an EU regulation planning to introduce a mandatory 10% ethanol addition to all gasoline fuel with a RON of less than 98. After some more consideration BMW came up with this:

Quote:
Even wider range of BMW Group cars eligible to use biogenic fuel.
29.01.2008 | Press Release

Munich. BMW models built as of 1998 have recently been announced as E10 compatible. Now further considerations have confirmed that E10 can be used even in all earlier BMW, as long as Premium Plus fuel is not required as mandatory by the owners manual. Furthermore, E10 can be used in all MINI models since the relaunch of the brand in 2000 and all Rolls-Royce motor cars as of 2003, the year the current Phantom model was launched.

E10 is the name for a new fuel mixture of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline that is expected to be legalised by the German Government in 2008 for regular and premium fuel.

Also the new B7 diesel fuel (diesel with 7 per cent rape methyl ester) can be used in all BMW diesels ever built - with or without a particulates filter
fitted as standard - as well as with a retrofitted BMW filter. The same applies to all MINI Diesel models produced since 2000.

Given this, the vast majority of all BMW Group customers will not experience any changes when the new fuels are introduced. Rather E10 and B7 lead to another welcome reduction of CO2 emissions. This is because the biogenic share in fuels bound CO2 when they grew up as a plant.

"The use of fuels with a sensibly limited share of biogenic substances in our cars is very important to us. This is indeed a substantial element of our global BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy to reduce CO2 emissions without forefeiting that dynamic performance so typical of BMW. Which means, quite simply, that we are able to offer the best of both worlds. states Dr. Klaus Draeger, BMW Board Member for Development.

Fuels with an even larger share of biogenic substances such as E85 or pure bio-diesel would limit usability in practice to very few cars.

Furthermore, a larger shares of biogenic substances in these first generation alternative fuels would further tension the existing global competition between the production of food and fuels. Only second generation bio-fuels - which are currently not available in large quantities - will offer further opportunities here. Hence, the use of E85 or pure bio-diesel in BMW engines is not planned and the current engines would not be able to run on such fuels.

BMW advocates the use of alternative fuels since they help to reduce the general dependence of mankind on carbon-based sources of energy such as oil and gas.

These enable BMW to continue producing its cars as environmentally as possible until CO2-free vehicles, such as BMW Hydrogen cars, become available on a broader scale.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0