ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
How long will that take???????

I think you know the answer, and its not in a couple of months. So bearing this in mind, I think its reasonable to say that it will take 10+ years. Are the American people ready to sink that much money and effort? Whats the US deficit to date?
I learned a long time ago never to estimate how long it takes Arabs to complete a negotiation. I suspect that 2-3 years may be necessary but I who knows. I sincerely hope that the American people will do whatever is necessary to win, as it is we have at least until Jan 20, 2009.

As for the cost, thank you for your concern but I think we can afford it. We are currently spending between 3.5 - 4% of our GDP on defense. This is low by historical standards and a fraction of previous wars.

Quote:
Yes, you may want to do this, but I don't think the rest of the world would view this as appropriate. How about technical information crossing over boarders that threaten the US. Like for example the information being shared with North Korea, are you saying that the US need to address this also?

As much as you want to strike at Iran and Syria, YOU DONT HAVE THE NUMBERS OR MONEY TO DO SO....period! Unless you want to have China do it! Good luck convincing them.
It depends on what type of technical information you are referring to. Does it pose a real and present danger to US or allied forces? Are there alternate methods to interdict?

What makes you think we do not have sufficient forces available to conduct strikes such as I described?

Quote:
How many in a brigade? Not being sarcastic, I really don't know.
How many brigades in Iraq now? How many do you need for the suggestion of attacking Syria and Iran?

EDIT: I looked it up and that equates to about 3-5 thousand in a brigade. Two brigades is only half of what Bush suggested to congress not to long ago.
Brigade size varies by what type of brigade it is but 4,000 is a good working figure. The current plan calls for a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) (roughly the size of an Army Brigade) to extend in al Anbar to increase the forces there. I think an additional brigade size element may be necessary but I am not on the ground there.

The strikes I mentioned against Iran and Syria would probably be limited to air strikes or raids by special operations forces.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i