View Single Post
      02-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #153
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I think a lot of what you are looking for depends on the Iraqis. At the end of the day they are going to be the ones who have to secure their country. How long we have to remain there in a combat role depends to a great extent on how long it takes the Iraqis to make the political compromises and agreements that will be necessary if Iraq is to remain a unified state. We have to give them the training, equipment, and time to accomplish that.

I think the current plan has the overall numbers about right for Baghdad but I think al Anbar could probably use one or even two brigades more than currently planned. Within those overall numbers are the Iraqi units and if they prove incapable of performing to the level we anticipate, we may have to send in additional forces to make up the difference.

I would not think that an invasion of Iran or Syria is likely. What may, and I hope would, happen is we would not feel constrained by the border if we believe material support, training, or equipment was flowing across the border. Limited incursions by ground and/or air forces to destroy those sites regardless of which side of the line they are on would be entirely appropriate.
Entirely appropriate to cross into the Syrian or Iranian side???
So, that would not be against any int'l rules?
WOW, do it...the world needs to end the way it is anyway...