02-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #136
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
ski360, get off my back you f'n idiot. As you can see there are normal people here that do not share my opinion, but are civilized enough to respect the opposite thoughts.
If you call yourself a hero for distributing these emails and for sitting somewhere and surf internet all day long, you're in the wrong business.

SOme of you immediately connect the critisizm towards the Administration as towards you. No, most of people (including myself) appreciate what you're doing because you're doing your job. And that is all.

The point is not that a few the medic chatted with support our efforts -- the point is IT IS NOT OUR PLACE TO BE THERE! Why in the hell we decided to go there over the other (much worse) places???
If I may interject, I think this problem stems from those in the military and and those outside having a different perspective on the nature of war and how the soldiers got there.

Soldiers generally do think of any one individual as having sent them into harm's way. They see what they do as service to the nation and that the nation has asked them to perform a task that is important enough for them to risk their lives accomplishing it. While people outside the military can speak of Iraq as "Bush's war" or Vietnam as "Johnson's war," the soldier look at it as America's war.

Soldiers also look at war as a win or lose proposition and if it is important enough to the nation to send them into a war, it should be equally as important to win it. I think what most soldiers would object to is not criticism of specific strategies or tactics in fighting the war (soldiers do that all the time themselves) but the questioning of the importance of winning the war once we have committed to it.

We, as a nation, sent those young men over there to accomplish a mission that we, as a nation, agreed was an important mission. The questions and doubts over the importance of the mission should have been dealt with prior to the first soldier setting foot over there. Once the decision has been made, we owe it to those soldiers not to second guess it until they do what we asked them to do.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i