Thread: Corpseman?!?!
View Single Post
      03-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #72
whathappened
Banned

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
Well the point would have been that the Dems were trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes playing the race card. But you're probably right in that any attempt to address it probably would have seemed petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I'm sorry but he isn't black, and the dems were going crazy with his race...
If you believe it would be a good idea for the GOP national leaders (a large number of whom are rich, white, older southerners) to attack Obama by saying he isn't black -- then by all means use that attack in 2012.

We'll see how great an idea it is when the GOP tours through the South and these same GOP leaders stand up in front of the same mostly-white rallies that showed up for McCain/Palin rallies, and campaign on how Obama is too white, so he shouldn't be President.

Being called "petty" would be the least of the GOP's worries. The GOP should expect parallels to be made between a bunch of white guys not allowing a son of a black man to identify himself as black, with historical events where a bunch of white guys previously told the sons of a black man and a white woman that they WERE black. Back when having just a black grand-parent, or great-grand parent meant that a bunch of white guys told you that you WERE black no matter what you said -- and therefore could not vote, could not own land, could not marry a white woman, etc.

Turning around and having a bunch of old white male Republican GOP leaders appointing themselves to be the ones who go out on the campaign circuit to decide who gets to call themselves "black" or not once again in history, would be a political nightmare.

And I'm not really sure what you are talking about Obama trying to pull the wool over the eyes of anyone regarding his race, when he kept saying stuff like this in campaign speeches:

"I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton's Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas."

Since 51% of Americans (as polled by Pew Research) say they heard the exact speech that this quote came from, I don't really think there were many people who voted for him that were in any way confused with what color Obama's parents were. Obama was perfectly clear over and over as to exactly who his parents were. The only wool involved was all the wool needed to keep the millions of people warm during the inauguration of the United State's first black President.