02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #87
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I guess both sides have to accept compromises and loose something and hopefully gain something (especially peace).
Again, I don't understand if there was never Palestine, if those territories belonged to someone else, if...why is the Palestinian Authority involved and why would Palesinians begin to assume civil control over the areas? Why not Egypt or Jordan if it belonged (possibly) to them?
Egypt and Jordan were left in control of Gaza and the West Bank after the 1948 war. In 1947 the UN drew up a partition plan fro the remaining portion of the British Mandate that divided the area into a Jewish state and an Arab state. The Jews accepted the plan and in may, 1948 formally declared the State of Israel. They were then attacked by the neighboring Arab nations that rejected the plan. When the war ended, portions of the rejected Arab state were were in Israeli, Jordanian, or Egyptian hands. Israel annexed the areas it controlled, Jordan occupied (and later annexed) the West Bank, and Egypt controlled the Gaza Strip.

It was during the Six Day War in 1967 that Israel gained control of the West Bank and Gaza. In 1978, Egypt renounced their claims to Gaza and in 1988 Jordan ceded their claims to the West Bank to the PLO.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i