02-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #85
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Again...we have heard of the areas being returned to Palestinians...over past few years. Why is that if they never existed? Why is Israel accepting to give up on aza strip, West Bank, Golan Heights, etc. if it is so clear that it all belongs to Israel and that never belonged to someone else. Pretty much not so.

On the other hand, youyou questioned that since the state of Palestine never existed, why ewould they (logically) exist now. I just gave him clear examples that support the logic not always working...
With all due respect, I have not found logic to be your strong suit.

Whether or not people speak of "returning" land or not does not change the fact that there has never been a sovereign Palestinian state.

Israel has never claimed sovereignty over the West Bank (excepting east Jerusalem) or Gaza. They have considered this to be disputed territory captured in war from Jordan and Egypt, neither of which continue to claim sovereignty over the areas previously under their control.

The Oslo Accords set out a process by which the Palestinians would begin to assume civil control over portions of the West Bank and Gaza through the Palestinian Authority with the final status of the territories settled through negotiations. Israel's pull out from Gaza or portions of the West Bank in the future does not imply an Israeli belief that the Palestinians have ever before maintained sovereignty over the region.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i