View Single Post
      02-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
whathappened
Banned

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Senator Robert Byrd (D, WV); “I oppose using the budget reconciliation process to pass health care reform and climate change legislation. Such a proposal would violate the intent and spirit of the budget process and do serious injury to the Constitutional role of the Senate.”

“As one of the authors of the reconciliation process, I can tell you that…reconciliation was intended to adjust revenue and spending levels in order to reduce deficits...it was not designed ... to restructure the entire health care system.”

Now he is the man who wrote the rules. My guess is he knows them a bit better than you.
Senator Byrd does not hold veto power over the Senate, House, and President of the United States. By definition, 50+ Senators, the majority of Representatives, and the President of the United States REPEATEDLY agreed that reconciliation was the appropriate tool for health care issues. The proof is in the results of what has already been passed.

I have the majority of Senators, Representatives, and the Executive Branch on my side who have ALREADY DONE what you say can't be done. I'll put the winning majority up against whoever you want to put up any day. Since my side has already won this debate, and have the health care legislation already on the books to prove it, you are dead in the water.

Last edited by whathappened; 02-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.