View Single Post
      02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathappened View Post
Reconciliation has been used for health care legislation like COBRA health insurance, sCHIP children's health coverage, and Medicare/Medicaid health care in 5 out of the total 22 times that Reconciliation was used. That is nearly a quarter of all Reconciliation bills!

COBRA health insurance program is itself is actually just short for "Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985".

It simply isn't credible to say that Reconciliation can't be used for health care issues, when it has historically already been used repeatedly.
Senator Robert Byrd (D, WV); “I oppose using the budget reconciliation process to pass health care reform and climate change legislation. Such a proposal would violate the intent and spirit of the budget process and do serious injury to the Constitutional role of the Senate.”

“As one of the authors of the reconciliation process, I can tell you that…reconciliation was intended to adjust revenue and spending levels in order to reduce deficits...it was not designed ... to restructure the entire health care system.”

Now he is the man who wrote the rules. My guess is he knows them a bit better than you.