View Single Post
      02-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skayfe View Post
Hi all, creeping round for ages, great site with a wealth of info.

Quick question, when getting a car "chipped" as well as installing an aftermarket x-pipe, is it mandatory for the car to be tuned on a dyno after the mods have been installed?

Sorry the car in question is an 09 E92 M3 with DCT

Thanks guys!
You have actually brought up a topic that I had once debated in the past.

It is not mandatory for your car to get tuned on the dyno. You can also mail in your ECU, so that you can get the software upgrade that way too. Or if you're planning to get a Dinan software upgrade, then a qualified Dinan/BMW dealer can provide the upgrade at their location.

However, from my understanding & research, getting dyno tuned has the advantage over a generic software upgrade.

Every car is different, therefore getting custom dyno tuned will adapt & work better with the way your car is, and with all the mods that you have on it.

At one point in time, we held a group buy for Powerchip to fly down to Texas and provide custom dyno tunes for several local M3's. Therefore, I took advantage of that opportuntiy, and had my M3 dyno tuned.

I can't say if it provides a clear advantage, but many experienced folks will agree that it is the preferable way to get tuned. I suppose that's because the tune is specific to your car, and no other. I've also heard that you may gain slightly more power, and the car will perform slightly better.

Overall, I don't think it should be considered a deal breaker, if one were to get a tune without the use of a dyno.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States