02-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #106
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
Then who speaks for the world? Who rearranges the UN, the US? The UN is the closest thing we have on the "pulse" of the world. This is where nations voice their concerns, police them if you will. You don't agree with the UN simply because it doesn't serve your mandate no? Justification for attacking Iraq. Unfortunately another reason why Terror and would be terrorist will never stop, because of these views.

Is there another entity, where by people can voice concerns of the world? Nothing is perfect, including the UN, however bottom line is that the US and UK attacked Iraq against the UN's wishes. The two most powerful nations in the world, thumbs the UN and attacks anyhow. Why?
Why do you feel anyone or anything can or needs to speak for the world? The UN exists because the governments of the member states wish it to. My major issue with the UN (and I assume we are speaking of the General Assembly) is the fact that a brutal dictatorship like North Korea has a say equal to that of a government like Canada's that represents its people.

This is the 21st century, do you really think the nations of the world need to meet on the east side of Manhattan to voice their concerns to each other?

I would also take issue with your assertion that the invasion of Iraq was "against the UN's wishes." The invasion was opposed by some UN members and supported by others. There was no UN resolution that condemned the invasion, in fact there is a series of UN resolutions that one can argue authorized it.

Also, the UK is the second most powerful nation in the world???

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i