Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
January 17, 2007
Public's Perceptions About Iraq Keeping Down Bush's Job Approval Rating
Bush approval remains in mid-30s, despite improved economic ratings

by Lydia Saad

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- President George W. Bush's latest job approval rating from the American people remains about where it stood a week earlier -- notable because it means his recent televised national address about Iraq did nothing to repair his public image. Bush's approval rating for his handling of Iraq, specifically, is even lower, something that appears to be preventing Bush from getting a broader benefit from the fact that Americans have grown a bit more favorable about his handling of the economy, and about economic conditions more generally...

If by "Stay the Course" you mean we have an objective and we will stay and fight until we are successful, then I do not believe the President has abandoned it at all. If by "Stay the Course" you are referring to changing strategies on how to attain the objective then he has brought in a new team that has different ideas. I consider that a strength in a leader, not a weakness. If there is a weakness to be seen here, it is the amount of time it took to make the change. Of course there may well have been reasons other than US elections for the timing of the change like getting Prime Minister Maliki to agree but I would not be shocked to learn that politics played a role.

There has been violence in Iraq for at least the past 20 years but I was referring to the change in focus that bombing of the al-Askari Mosque in Samarra inaugurated last year. Prior to this the violence was largely focused on US and Iraqi security forces. The al-Askari bombing was the catalyst for the sectarian violence that has wracked Baghdad for the past year. It is not US casualties that have have markedly increased in the past year (the monthly average for the year is about the same as the previous year), it is the level of violence in Baghdad that has. Since the reporters in Iraq are in Baghdad, this increased violence has been what Americans have seen and grown weary of.

I guess you are right, the things the CPI measures have no relation to real people.
The CPI represents all goods and services purchased for consumption by the reference population (U or W) BLS has classified all expenditure items into more than 200 categories, arranged into eight major groups. Major groups and examples of categories in each are as follows:

* FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, service meals and snacks)
* HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)
* APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)
* TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)
* MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)
* RECREATION (televisions, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
* EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
* OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

Also included within these major groups are various government-charged user fees, such as water and sewerage charges, auto registration fees, and vehicle tolls. In addition, the CPI includes taxes (such as sales and excise taxes) that are directly associated with the prices of specific goods and services.
I mean who eats, drives, goes to the doctor, or gets a haircut?

Maybe you are just not a good engineer and stocking grocery shelves is more your speed. To suggest that the government should measure employment by whether or not a person is working in the field he would like to is a bit bizarre. Think of the level of "unemployment" NYC and So California would have if all those actors waiting tables were counted as unemployed.

The markets are not good because some blue chips are not where you think they should be??? Companies exist to make money for their shareholders. If it takes hiring freezes and travel restrictions to make that money, so be it. You cannot realistically judge the state of a $13 trillion economy on your personal experience.

Low rates are better than high rates.

Do you mean to say that wages fell during a recession? I am shocked that such a thing would happen. Has anything like that occurred before?

Again, you can't judge a $13 trillion economy on whether or not you and your friends got a good raise.
Very nice, but again completely wrong...

1) Wages fell in the resession -- not a necessary thing -- mine didn't, it actually went up. And a lot of people I know -- the same. You cannot assume these things.

2) I am not basing my personal judgement on "some" company, I am basing on the 3rd semiconductor in the world. Our sales are healthy and up a lot -- tells you again something about inflation. The numbers look healthy, but we all know...

3) Now, for the CPI that you sorted up there. Where do you live??? Don't you see the reality??? Forget about the numbers on FOX or who knows where. It is very clear that the everyday prices are way up compared to last year or the year before, way above the average salary increase....simple as that.