02-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #39
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
There's a natural assumption that the challenger would be victorious over the challenged because the challenger is assuming themselves to be superior. Therefore, it customary for the challenger to come to the challenged and play by the challenged rules. That would mean PC would come to Arizona, use their dyno of choice, and play by their rules. Instead, I'd like to see them play by my rules. I think I can come up with a tougher test than either would come up with individually. That's why I proposed complete ECU data logging (for starters).

AFR only tells one picture of the puzzle; spark advance is equally as important, as is VANOS as well. Along with horsepower, AFR, spark advance, and cam timing tell the entire picture. Four cars are necessary so that one company does not have an advantage over the other. Stock Car-A would get ESS tune first, and stock Car-B would get PC tune first. Then they would swap. The same procedure should be followed for the bolt-on cars as well.

You're already losing a day to go to Arizona -- so what's this about not having much time? You've been on here long enough to know that I don't like these toy dyno's that basically guestimate horsepower. I prefer load bearing dyno's -- and Dynapack is my dyno of choice. Maha would be my second choice because it's what BMW uses.

I'm just thinking of reasons why you wouldn't want full ECU data logging. I'm sure the readers here would demand it too. It's not good enough to just provide dyno results because they don't tell the entire story. People have a right to know how you got those results -- and that only comes with full ECU data logging. I'll donate my Bavarian Technic ECU data logger to the challenge -- so neither side can say one isn't available.

How are you defining "Engine Problem?" By definition -- limp mode is an engine problem -- it occurs when the ECU detects values that it considers unsafe and entering the engine protection program. Many people on this forum -- most of them very silent about it -- only started experiencing limp mode, stalling, bad idling, and various cold start problems after getting tuned. By definition these are all "engine problems."

Thanks for reminding me. In addition to my previously recommended procedures, the process should also include the following:
  • ECU tune will be submitted on a USB flash drive and given to the dyno operator or comparable 3rd party. This will ensure that the same flash will be used for all tests and can't be changed by either party.
  • The dyno operator or a comparable 3rd party would do the flashing -- not either company. The flash operator will ensure that no adaptation values are cleared while flashing.
  • Ten consecutive dyno runs should be run. 5-second cool-down between runs.
  • The comparison runs will be measured on runs 9 and 10.
It would be great if the setup you have in mind is indeed the one both companies abide to. But I highly doubt this will be the case and I'm sure most people are already aware of this unfortunately.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0