01-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW25561 View Post
I tried searching the forums but got varied answers. This is my first time changing a full set of tires on my own so please bear with me. I have the stock 19" for summertime.

I finally got my Blizzaks from TireRack for my 2009 M3 convertible.

fronts: 235/35R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 XL
rears: 255/35R-19 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 XL

The rears came with spacers.

I've read varying suggestions for the torque ranging from 88-90 ft-lb. What is the consensus for the newer M3's? I can't find it in the manual.

Also, for the rear spacers, I understand I should put anti seize compound on them, but I'm not sure where: do I put a thin layer on BOTH sides of it? I've read suggestions NOT to put any antiseize on the car's wheel hub but that's where posters have had it stuck.

Also, SHOULD I put a little antiseize on the wheel bolts? I've also read both opinions including the fact antiseize can alter the torque values (?and can it make the bolt come off easier)?

I know these are newbie questions, but I've truly searched and find conflicting answers.

Thanks!
Definitely USE anti-seize on the spacers around the hub ring, where they mount on the hub. For a little extra insurance, put a dab between lug nut holes exercising care not to get the stuff near where lug bolts will go. There are scores of posts here about stuck spacers, and it was almost always the result of not using anti-seize.

Definitely DO NOT use anti-seize on or anywhere near lug bolts. Torque spec is 89 ft/lbs DRY. Lubed bolts will require a much higher level of torque to reach comparable tightness, and there is no such spec for wheel bolts. If you lube the lug bolts, you run the risk of over-tightening and stressing the bolt threads, plus you have no idea how tight or loose you are torquing. A lubed lug bolt at 89 ft/lbs. will not be nearly tight enough.

89 ft/lbs. is not a great amount of force. You should never have any problem breaking free dry lug bolts at that spec, if you break them lose a bit before lifting the car.

Last edited by foosh; 01-10-2010 at 11:45 AM.