01-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #175
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Man, looks like I missed some of your previous answers...
One of them is when you put the Debt vs. GDP ratios of other countries to show us how great we are. I never said we're the worst of the developed world -- far from there. My whole point is -- there are better, much better places than here.

As for the comment above -- actually, I do think (and stick to it) that 65% of Americans think that Bush is incompetent for his job and that he is a lying bastard.

Again, I am not sure about your previously mentioned UN resolution that talks about the Iraq in 1990. The Security Council had a meeting before this war and they did not approve it. Therefore, why would they even meet if the resolution was already valid???
The point of my post on debt to GDP ratios was not to show how great we are but to show how misleading you were. You stated that our debt would cause us to collapse as a great power, I said our debt to GDP ratio was within the norm for an advanced economy. You cherry picked statistics to imply our ratio was abnormally high. I merely corrected the record.

If you believe that 65% of Americans believe Bush is incompetent and a liar than you are delusional.

See if you can follow this simple timeline:
1990 - Iraq invades Kuwait, UN orders Iraq to leave Kuwait (UNSCR 660), US authorizes member nations "to use all necessary means to uphold and implement resolution 660 (1990) and all subsequent relevant resolutions and to restore international peace and security in the area.'

1991 - UNSCR 687 sets conditions for a cease-fire between Iraq and member states implementing UNSCR 678. The cessation of military action is contingent on Iraqi compliance with all conditions. UNSCR 707, "Condemns Iraq's serious violation of a number of its obligations under section C of resolution 687"

1994 - UNSCR 949 Recalls "that Iraq's acceptance of resolution 687 (1991) adopted pursuant to Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations forms the basis of the cease-fire, and again demands Iraq comply.

1996 - UNSCR 1060 again Deplores the refusal of the Iraqi authorities to allow access to sites designated by the Special Commission, which constitutes a clear violation of the provisions of Security Council resolutions 687 (1991) and Demands that Iraq cooperate fully with the Special Commission in accordance with the relevant resolutions."

1997 - UN condemns Iraqi refusal to comply with 687 in UNSCR's 1115, 1134, and 1137.

1998 - UNSCR 1194 again demands that Iraq comply.

2002 - UNSCR 1441 reads in part:

Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all
necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area,

Further recalling that its resolution 687 (1991) imposed obligations on Iraq as
a necessary step for achievement of its stated objective of restoring international peace and security in the area,

Deploring the fact that Iraq has not provided an accurate, full, final, and
complete disclosure, as required by resolution 687 (1991)...

Decides that Iraq has been and remains in material breach of its
obligations under relevant resolutions, including resolution 687 (1991)

Recalls, in that context, that the Council has repeatedly warned Iraq that
it will face serious consequences as a result of its continued violations of its
obligations
If the 1990-91 resolutions were no longer valid, you would have thought the UN would have known. Don't you?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i