01-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #39
footie
Major General

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Not having an LSD in a RWD sports car isn't that big of a deal... Porsche seemed to think it was big enough of a deal that the MKII got it standard. BMW seemed to think it was a big enough deal to fit all their RWD M cars with it. Maybe you should write Porsche and BMW a letter with your thoughts on why they should save themselves some cash? Are you kidding me? This is a sports car we are talking about, not a grocery getter, it better have an LSD or it was just designed to look good.
Why sent a letter.

Quote:
Wet sump vs. dry sump in the Porsche world means GT1 block or wet sump block. It means the difference between a race bred GT3, turbo, GT2, or the carrera and Boxster. Don't you get it? Don't you get that the wet sump motors suffer from RMS issues? Don't you get that the wet sump motors internals aren't as strong? Don't you get the GT1 motors have been tested to the highest levels? It isn't about only lateral G's.
Again we are talking about getting the most out of the engine which is a different subject altogether and why I put a 'P.S.' at the end of my reply.

Quote:
Even if it was about lateral G's, that is yet another thing the 996 turbo has going for it performance wise over the 997S. What exactly is the 997S offering other than aesthetics coupled with inferior engine parts?
Again you are talking about getting the most out of the car which is different than the advice I was trying to give the OP, which was honest and experienced advice based on owning these cars. The running cost of a $40K 996TT is not the same as a $40K BMW and making someone aware of this is the decent thing.

Quote:
No, the main difference between you and I is I know what I am talking about. If you want to buy a Porsche to show all your friends the interior, be my guest. I'm the kind of guy that buys a sports car to drive it and I would take my friends for a ride and have them crap their pants (another reason to not worry about the interior).
I do try to be civil with you at every opportunity but you all continue to make things personal, you don't know who you are talking to or anyway about the knowledge I may or may not have. Best refrain from going down that road is all I will say on the subject.

Quote:
Honestly, you suggested the performance was similar and mentioned the horsepower without having any clue as to what is going on in the aftermarket. If you did, you would know how ridiculous that statement sounds, especially when the OP mentions a K24/18g.
Again I think it's a sensible thing to advice on the pitfalls of tuning such an expensive car to repair without doing the research, maybe you feel otherwise which is your prerogative.
footie is offline   No_Country