View Single Post
      01-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #38
Banned

Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
No, not having a LSD in a RWD sport isn't that big of a deal unless your intention is to track the car regularly. And considering how quick both the Carrera and Cayman have been without it shows that up till now it's been a luxury and not a necessity. BTW there are bigger reasons to why the Cayman has been right on it's heals but let's save that for another thread.

Wet sump vs dry sump is again more of an issue if you are constantly tracking the car but again I don't believe too many owners will be achieving the lateral Gs enough of the time to full warrant it's inclusion.

P.S.
I think the main difference between you and I on this and many other threads is that you are constantly looking at things from a purely maximizing the performance potential where I am looking at it from simply a daily driving point of view. It's not that you are wrong on many things only that I feel they are a bit extreme in most cases.
Not having an LSD in a RWD sports car isn't that big of a deal... Porsche seemed to think it was big enough of a deal that the MKII got it standard. BMW seemed to think it was a big enough deal to fit all their RWD M cars with it. Maybe you should write Porsche and BMW a letter with your thoughts on why they should save themselves some cash? Are you kidding me? This is a sports car we are talking about, not a grocery getter, it better have an LSD or it was just designed to look good.

Wet sump vs. dry sump in the Porsche world means GT1 block or wet sump block. It means the difference between a race bred GT3, turbo, GT2, or the carrera and Boxster. Don't you get it? Don't you get that the wet sump motors suffer from RMS issues? Don't you get that the wet sump motors internals aren't as strong? Don't you get the GT1 motors have been tested to the highest levels? It isn't about only lateral G's.

Even if it was about lateral G's, that is yet another thing the 996 turbo has going for it performance wise over the 997S. What exactly is the 997S offering other than aesthetics coupled with inferior engine parts?

No, the main difference between you and I is I know what I am talking about. If you want to buy a Porsche to show all your friends the interior, be my guest. I'm the kind of guy that buys a sports car to drive it and I would take my friends for a ride and have them crap their pants (another reason to not worry about the interior).

Honestly, you suggested the performance was similar and mentioned the horsepower without having any clue as to what is going on in the aftermarket. If you did, you would know how ridiculous that statement sounds, especially when the OP mentions a K24/18g.
Sticky is offline   United_States