Thread: RS4 & E90 M3
View Single Post
      10-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #32

Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Originally Posted by JK42 View Post

There is more diffence, like I said, the engine had 272hp as standard and the rear wheels got 244hp. Before the ECU upgrade. The US E46 M3 engine is not a good example, since it was raped for emissions control reasons by plugging in catalysators straight into the engine and by few other tricks that were nasty for it's power. But remember you have to dyno the engine too before you compare it with what you have on the wheels before you can get the real difference. E46 M3 is over 8 years old design, and BMW has made giant leaps in improving the powertrain during those 8 years.
The cat location defintely reduces power, but the car is rated for less here. Many US owners who are looking for performance move to Euro Headers, CSL Headers or an aftermarket setup.

That's been my claim since the get go, that you have to dyno both at the engine and at the wheels to determine drivetrain loss. Otherwise, you can't conclusively say if the drivetrain is highly efficient or of the engine is underrated.

Agreed. You cited design aspects in the E46 M3, so I was merely following your lead.

Originally Posted by JK42 View Post
My god! You pulled the engine out of my car without my consent or knowledge. When did this happen?!?! How much did it show on your dyno?!

LOL. Darn typos. There should be an 'If' in there. :-)