01-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #101
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Verdad
It is totally irrelevant whether or not his office is 'plush' or not...the focus is on his critiques and writing.
Of course it is relevant. Would The Gulag Archipelago have had the impact it did if Solzhenitsyn had been sipping cocktails with the elites of the Soviet Union? I think not. It also goes to the intellectual shallowness of his comparisons. If the situation were actually as bad as he insinuates, he would not be in a plush office criticizing it. He would be in exile or prison.

Quote:
It is unfortunate that you disagree with his works; however, I understand that most veterans don't like negative critiques involving the armed services. History is the polemics of the victor. That is why is it useful to read books by writers like Chomsky, preciously because you actually learn what 'really' happened and not the 8th grade Eurocentric crap they feed most Americans in school.
I actually found military officers to be some of the most introspective and self-critiquing group of professionals I have ever met. Every operation, whether in training or combat, is followed by an after action review where the conduct of the operation is dissected and flaws and mistakes are highlighted so they will not happen again.

Of course for military officers this critique is necessary for self preservation because their actions have immediate and real consequences for themselves and others. Can't say the for academics like Chomsky. They can spout all the nonsense they want because there are no real consequences when they are wrong. It is easy for them to sit inside the ivy covered walls and despair at how the world does not work the way they want. they are not required to deal with the world the way it actually is. They do not have to make timely decisions that have far reaching implications with perhaps not all the information they would like. They do not have to choose between two bad options. In short, it is easy for Chomsky to criticize the US without placing the role the US plays in the world in context or exploring the options available to the leaders of country because he does not have to live within that context.

Quote:
For all the arguing that we have been doing, I haven’t asked you if you believe in the war in Iraq? If so, why? I personally never once felt threatened by Saddam and Iraq. A simplified understanding of the war is that it was justified under false pretense. (i.e. Saddam is going to attack America) Or maybe it was the fact that Saddam supposedly had WMD…not sure where those went. There are many countries that have WMD, like chemical weapons that are not friends of America. I spoke earlier of North Korea blowing nukes up and declaring it. Surely that warrants intervention?? I also have spoken a lot about Oil and how it IMO is the driving force behind this war. Do you disagree? Putting the whole ‘bush should stand trail thing aside’ what are your opinions on these other topics? I watched his speech last night and thought it was horrible. The Iraq Study Group has advised not to send in more troops. I personally think it will only make matters worse.
I think the decision made to invade Iraq was the right one to make with the information available at the time. Given what we know now, do I think it should have been done differently? Yes, but unfortunately that is not an option. The decision was made and was widely supported throughout the Congress and the country. The option now should be how to succeed in what we started. Looking back at decisions already made and the info that went into those decisions can wait until we have accomplished what we set out to do.

I have simple questions, if it was about the oil, why did we just not stay in southern Iraq in 1991? Why not just keep Kuwait when we liberated it? Why did we bother going north of the oil fields this time? Would have been much simpler to occupy Kuwait or southern Iraq than what we did?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i