View Single Post
      11-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #59
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Hey I am not saying I dont believe it happens - I am sure it happens. And I dont need a sample, emergencies are emergencies. Like I said in my original post - Hope he fights it and the courts see it his way. However if you think getting out of a ticket because you are a doctor responding to an emergency is some right of passage - good luck to you. I am sure there are many cops that may let you off but the reality is speeding is speeding and unless you have the training and a lightbar and siren to announce your presence its dangerous to others as well as yourself. If you drive your car into another car or go off the road - how are you going to save lives?

My suggestion is you may want to keep the attitude to yourself as my experience in being pulled over a few times has been if I keep my cool (after all I was speeding, how can I argue?) an be courteous, you never know, they may let you go with a warning and be understanding of your circumstance - acting and talking like an arrogant pr*ck is likely to get me nowhere.
Wowowo, how do you infer that I have an attitude and talk like a prick? Do you have some sort of telepathic ability like Ms. Cleo? Maybe you should keep your prejudice to yourself, seriously. I have never said he should walk out scotch free for speeding. I'm just saying it's an emergency and we take our chances. If we get pulled over, we would try to explain our situation and hope that the officer will speed things up and let us tend to our patient.

Light bar and driver training? Do you know what type of "driver" training EMTs get? Luckily both my medical school and my residency program train the city and county EMTs and we have first hand experience of what type of training they got, which is fairly useless even compared to just an HDPE aimed at teaching you defensive driving. As far as light bar goes, are they really that useful at the wee hours when we are called in? I highly doubt that because other cars are far and in between at that time. I welcome your comments on these issues.