Thread: Religion
View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #64
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I would treat them just the way i would treat you. And don't mistake that for anything bad or sarcastic. We established in another thread a while back that outside of this forum and the confines of these religious conversations; we'd likely be totally cool with each other.

And don't act like you're so naive that you don't know that EVERY GROUP is pushing an agenda. You’re more educated than that.

I'm assuming that your comment about atheists being a despised minority came from poll information. I'm only pointing out, through deductive reasoning, why the polls likely show that data. It doesn't mean i agree with it or think its "right".
Of course. Most of my friends and family are religious, and we get along fine. There are only a few of 'em that I can speak candidly about religion with though, and we have interesting debates. Talking to the internets, it's hard to get a direct feel for people's reactions, but there's also nothing invested in the relationships, so I feel a little more free to let 'er rip.

Yes- everyone has an agenda. But, the religious are extremely well connected politically and push the boundries of constitutionality. The pledge, for example, was brought up. We should not force the nations students to take a de facto religious oath. In fact, the BAPTIST MINISTER who WROTE the pledge did not have "under God" in it. It was added about 60 years after the fact to seperate us from the godless commies. Trying to manipulate the legal system to VOTE on what in science books is another example, but thankfully that isn't working very well (although still better than it should). So, I suppose you can say the agenda I'm pushing is freedom and the value of science- the two things that have made modern western civilization possible more than any other.

Here are some results from the poll I was mentioning...

Quote:
This group does not at all agree with my vision of American society…

Atheist: 39.6%

Muslims: 26.3%

Homosexuals: 22.6%

Hispanics: 20%

Conservative Christians: 13.5%

Recent Immigrants: 12.5%

Jews: 7.6%

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group….

Atheist: 47.6%

Muslim: 33.5%

African-American 27.2%

Asian-Americans: 18.5%

Hispanics: 18.5%

Jews: 11.8%

Conservative Christians: 6.9%

Whites: 2.3%
Quote:
A recent Newsweek poll found that 26% of registered voters think that atheists are inherently immoral, only 29% would vote for an atheist, and only 3% called themselves atheists.
Quote:
Here are the percentages of people saying they would refuse to vote for "a generally well-qualified person for president" on the basis of some characteristic; in parenthesis are the figures for earlier years:

Catholic: 4% (1937: 30%)
Black: 5% (1958: 63%, 1987: 21%)
Jewish: 6% (1937: 47%)
Baptist: 6%
Woman: 8%
Mormon: 17%
Muslim: 38%
Gay: 37% (1978: 74%)
Atheist: 48%
I would LOVE to see the justifications people give for these reasons. The president's responsibilities, for example, are entirely SECULAR in nature. Seems like an advantage to have someone in here that knows this is his one chance to make a mark, the consequences of his decisions don't consider the rapture inevitible, and his country knocks God off the top of his priority list.