Thread: Religion
View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #63
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum09 View Post
The paragraph above is one of the reasons that I came to the conclusion that hardcore atheism is a religion in its own right. It may not fit the traditional and technically correct definition, but since hardcore atheism seems to have its own very strong belief system, as well as a compulsion to inform others why belief in a God is wrong, I can't help but think that it's pretty darn close to a religion.

I must agree with the above, as well, as it refers to hardcore atheists (I always must add hardcore because I have friends who are atheists, but they don't talk about it much even when conversation turns to that). But the same must be said about those who push any agenda so hard that it becomes obnoxious.
I agree, there are varying levels and my comments do not refer to those that are content to simply not believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum09 View Post
Remember, I'm taking a bit of liberty here when I consider hardcore atheism to be a religion. I'm not seriously suggesting that it's an established religion, with a holy book, places of worship, etc. -- it's more of a metaphor, for lack of a better term, to show how extreme beliefs can often times develop into their own groups and ways of thinking.

That said, if I were tasked to come up with the belief system for hardcore atheism from what is currently observable, I would note the following:

- Belief that gods or God cannot and do not exist.
- Belief that a belief in gods or Gods is borderline delusional, if not outright ready for inclusion in the APA's DSM manual.
- Belief that it is the hardcore atheist's duty to inform society why belief in gods or God is wrong.
- Belief that it is the hardcore atheist's duty to ensure that any mentioning of gods or God is removed from all public venues and anything State sponsored (e.g., removal of 'under God' from the Pledge)
In my experience, nearly every atheist I’ve come across on these forums fits all 4 criteria.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States