10-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #45
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Again- we never said we know everything. You also left off the first line of that quote...

I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being.
I felt Einstein's position sufficiently explained by my preface that he did not believe in a personal God. He also believed, as I posted in a more recent post, "The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer." He may have thought that belief in God was childlike, but he also wanted to make it clear that he didn't consider himself a "professional atheist" who needs to denigrate others' beliefs.