Thread: Saddam Hussein
View Single Post
      12-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
boyce'06 330i
Private First Class

Drives: '06 330i Slvr/Gray Prem/Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck335i
oh, so they finally found the mass destruction weapons...
Actually, he was convicted of killing a bunch of Shiite Muslims, a crime where there was no shortage of evidence against him.

Quote:
The execution came 56 days after a court convicted Saddam and sentenced him to death for his role in the killings of 148 Shiite Muslims from a town where assassins tried to kill the dictator in 1982.
He was also still on trial for genocide against the Kurds. The trial against his co-defendants will likely continue.

Quote:
At his death, he was in the midst of a second trial, charged with genocide and other crimes for a 1987-88 military crackdown that killed an estimated 180,000 Kurds in northern Iraq.
Saddam handed his lawyer a letter today that included the script below.

Quote:
The message called on Iraqis to put aside the sectarian hatred that has bloodied their nation for a year and voiced support for the Sunni Arab-dominated insurgency against U.S.-led forces, saying: "Long live jihad and the mujahedeen."
He's essentially blaming the people he'd oppressed for 35 years for the current violence in Iraq and asking them to put aside their differences and unite with the remainder of his regime!

I'm glad he's gone. One less militant dictator in the world is a good thing!