View Single Post
      10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
Ok, so here's the deal:

I was offered $24,709.56 for my car. I had planned to buy my car back from this woman's insurance agency once they total it so I can part it out and resell it to a local guy here in Houston. However, I got off the phone with her company and apparently they will not sell it back to me unless I have a "buying license" in the state of Texas, whatever the fvck that means. Do you think it is a good idea to talk with my insurance agency and see if they can fight to get me more money for the lost car or should I leave them out of it completely? Either way they will eventually find out I was in an accident because her insurance company will have to contact mine.
Kyle, close to $25,000 seems like a pretty good offer from what you've told us about your car. Probably the best way to raise that offer significantly would be to provide documentation of the aftermarket modifications you've made to the car and their costs. This would obviously be something you'd do yourself, not through your insurance company. Maybe if your insurance company got involved, they could get you a little more, but I don't know.

As for buying it back, every state has regulations on who (if anyone) can buy back a vehicle with a salvage title. From skimming through the Texas laws on this (see here), I'm not sure that you do in fact need a salvage vehicle dealer license. See the exemptions at the top of page 4-3. You might want to inquire further about this.

Last edited by TLud; 10-01-2009 at 08:17 PM.
TLud is offline   United_States