View Single Post
      09-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Rhetoric and demagoguery don't work on me. I'm not afraid of Islam, that word doesn't make me suddenly shake in fear. I know its hard for you, but leave that crap at the door.

Show me FACTS or at least a reasoned argument as to what you believe the Iranian, or any country's ballistic missile projects are for. They are for the same purpose as our system is for. DEFENSE. We have by far the most advanced missile systems in the world. How many wars or conflicts can you name in which we used missiles as our means to project power? This is the part where education or an IQ above 90 comes into play. Again, missiles are an adjunct used as part of an offensive force, they are not a primary means to project power. If that was the case, Hamas would rule Israel right now with their 1000s of rockets they have fired into Israel.

Russia is not re-asserting anything. They are just reminding us of the lines we agreed to draw a long time ago. If Russia wanted to re-assert influence they wouldn't be worried about Georgia and would rather be cozying up to Cuba and Venezuela in a big way. Which they are not doing and will not do because that is not their foreign policy. Are you oblivious to the world outside of the USA and terrorism?? Do you have any kind of upper level education what so ever?

Don't get me wrong, the day that a missile defense system is perfected and lives up to the word 'shield' and can reliably destroy any inbound target, I will be the very first to say treaties be damned and put the system up. But as it stands now, an imperfect system that emboldens foreign countries to arm against us is not exactly a smart thing. Thats an understatement.
Whether you are or are not afraid of Islam is irrelevant to the idiocy you posted earlier. The men who planned, financed, and conducted the attacks on 9/11 believed their religion (actually their God) commanded it. Your beliefs in the matter are the crap that needs to be left at the door.

Missiles can serve a power projection function by their very existence. What exactly do you think it was that deterred the Soviet Union from expanding westward during the Cold War? Was it the two corps of ground troops that we had stationed in Europe? Or was it more likely the fact that those troops were backed up by a missile force capable of making any foray into a NATO country potentially suicidal?

Iran's missile and nuclear programs are also designed to act as a deterrent. The difference is what they wish to deter. They want to deter retaliation for their terror sponsorship. They want a free hand in Lebanon for Hezbollah, a free hand in central Asia, as well as a free hand to continue their activities in Iraq. They are the largest state sponsors of terror in the world and they wish to make sure they do not pay a price for it.

Russia IS trying to reassert itself over the area they lost. Any agreement that may have been made in Yalta collapsed when the Wall came down.. The people of the captive states got their freedom and we told them we would help them maintain it. This is just another in a long line of cases where democrats turn their backs on people we made commitments to.

No weapon system is ever perfect. Waiting for one to be so is a back hand way of forgoing the system all together.