Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e93M3lease View Post
technic, you rock. idrive 08 really sucks donkey balls.Everytime I think about it, I'm amazed that in the year 2008 such a shitty system was produced. How can this be version 3.0? How bad was 1.0 and 2.0?

Anyways, how much do you guestimate the total upgrade will cost after selling off idrive 08 parts to cover some of the costs
I don't know if we will be able to sell the old iDrive parts after this retrofit - and that is if this retrofit works the way I want it to work.

It could be very possible that we will need to keep the old iDrive parts just in case the installation of the new iDrive parts does not allow any software update in the car. The way the BMW software update works is by checking all the P/N of the Vehicle Order and making sure that all the modules are compatible with the updates to be received. If a module is found with a different P/N from the expected list/database the update will not be done.

I don't want to change my Vehicle Order to include a '09 part in a '08 M3, that could screw something else up because the opposite is also true: adding a part that was not part of any '08 Vehicle Order could also make any software update to not load or load with incongruencies. What I want is to be able to switch back and forth iDrives depending if a sofware update needs to be performed by the dealer without changing the VO.

Again, the bad news is that I will have to buy all these parts to really find out if the way I want this retrofit to work is possible at all.