View Single Post
      08-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #49
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by djben View Post
I think the crime thing depends on where you are in Miami.

I moved from the Tampa / Pinellas county area and there were plenty of rough spots. Hell, we had riots there a while back -- the only other US city to have major riots other than L.A. in my life time. Guns/gangs/violence were a problem in the public schools I went to. I bet the areas m3jlp mentioned under "Hialeah" (Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Overtown, etc) probably account for most of the high crime rate in Miami...

About 100K+ jobs -- most people my age I know here are lawyers and doctors who are north of that range along with people in IT (my field). I don't know anyone in real estate.
In retrospect to my earlier post, I must say that I hold a lot of animosity for Miami and maybe my perception as an adult, is somewhat warped. Maybe Miami has changed and my experiences of the past are no longer valid.

If I could make as a salary what I make in Northern, VA, I may consider moving as Miami is a beautiful city ( i love the beach) and good real-estate deals are plenty; I also have family and friends there. However, I haven't found any Engineering or Engineering Project Management positions that pay enough in Miami (i.e., $125k-$135k). I assume it is because there may not be a strong industry for the line of work that I am in.....but I'm just speculating.

-SZ