06-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
He has the DCT so rev matching should not be an issue. No amount of technology will save the car if the driver puts it in an unrecoverable condition. 99.99999% of the car crashes I've witness was due to braking in the corners, the Ring is more unforgiving than other tracks but it still illustrates my point. Better to not brake in the turn. Finish your braking, be on the gas by the time you hit the apex. You'll be flying out of the corner and the acceleration coming out of the turn far out weighs the time you might have saved by diving into the corner.
ABS keeps wheels from locking up in a noticable manner due to braking. Anything else that you do to the car while turning in which might exceed the traction it has and gets it if off the track is a seperate consideration. (Too much steering input or a poor downshift will cause loss of traction as well; basic traction circle stuff). The OP is complaining about his rear wheels locking up due to braking. ABS can't keep your car on the track, but it will keep you from applying more brake pressure than the tires can deal with as long as you are not spinning. Who knows what happens exactly in a spin since you have all sorts of unusual lateral loads, etc.

I haven't driven a DCT car on the track, so I don't know how the different modes behave while downshifting, and if it is possible to lock up the rears in certain modes.

As to how to go in and out of a corner, I think consolidated already answered that question.