Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
Every time the GT-R fails to live up to the hype we get a new laundry list of excuses. This was not some rookie, wet-behind-the-ears driver "Car" used. For some background on who the driver was and how he how he was chosen, click here:

Now, I don't have the article itself to look at so I am just going by the ring times quoted by footie. Was the GT3 2 seconds faster? Was the GT3 also given 1 lap to run its 7:49 time, or was it given more laps? Was the driver given more time to familiarize himself with the GT3 than the GT-R?

We know it'll do much better with a $25,000 wheel & tire combination available ONLY in Japan and with special suspension tweaks. I'm of the strong opinion the test drivers used for the laps "Car", "Driver's Republic", "Sport Auto" and Porsche ran were not the limiting factors.

How do you conclude this? If the initial times quoted by footie are correct, it would appear that the 997.2 GT3 has the measure of the GT-R around the ring.

No but he was completely new to the car and that makes a world of difference. There is no substitute for experience and practise in any car and he was a veteran on the GT3. So Yes is the answer to the familiarisation with the GT3. Way more laps.

The wheel & tyre combo hasn't been confirmed. It's just suspected by people looking at the pictures. Suspension adjustments on a car with adjustable suspension simply shows what's possible with some time adjusting for track and can hardly be called cheating.

The faster time is the time that you all seem to believe are lies by Nissan but of course Porsche is telling the truth with their times and not altering their car in any way for the timing run. I wasn't talking about the porsche driver attempting to better his time with 1 lap experience.

What I can't understand is why so many people here have a problem with the thought that it might be possible for Nissan to make a car that can lap the Ring faster than some other car? Did you get bitten by a Nissan as a baby???

I don't have either car so I'm prepared to believe that Nissan are at least as honest as Porsche with their information and testing standards.

The scope of the warranty exclusions is ridiculous on the GT-R but the part about voiding if you damage it on a track day is perfectly normal and exactly the same as you would get from Porsche and BMW. In fact, I think it's perfectly understandable. The fact that a car can be driven round a track at record speeds doesn't mean it's built to do it for anything other than to demonstrate it's abilities and limits. No road car with a 3-5 year warranty is built to do track days. Not a single one. They're just too hard on components no matter what the car is. You might be lucky and get away with a shit load of them but one day something will give.

You don't see touring cars doing a season without engine/gearbox rebuilds and they only put out less bhp than some modern supersaloons. Mind you. The factory give them the parts so they don't have to worry about warranty
Appreciate 0