04-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #146
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
How about a post trashing BMW and every other manufacturer over the years who have underrated their cars? Not up to it?

Note: Saying you don't like the fact that BMW has underrated some of their cars is not the same as saying Nissan and Ghosn are liars - although it's clear you are constitutionally incapable of being that Nasty to BMW.

It's that credibility thing again.
Just as I am not aware of much Nissan under rating outside of this and other Skylines I am not aware of much under rating by BMW outside of the 335i. Some ignorance here is quite possible. I have stated my feeling about BMW and under rating on multiple occasions. Quite frankly I am a bit less concerned about the 335i case as compared to the GT-R. Why, well it should be painfully obvious. Nissan has made an incredibly aggressive marketing blitz out of the GT-R lap times. It simply deserves more attention and criticism. Recall my oft used quote that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Have you heard anyone besides Sportauto make a peep about the 335i Ring time? They didn't even really make a peep about it other than testing and reporting the time. Secondly have you seen any evidence of 335i's performing inconsistently? Didn't think so. It is an awfully boring car and boring situation compared to the GT-R.

Either way you slice it dishonesty and lying is dishonesty and lying and it should be harshly criticized and BMW in this regard is just as guilty as Nissan. The regression analysis shows the effect of the 335i under rating as it being an enormous 0.4 sigma over performing, this translated to 4 seconds better than regression. Uh oh, call the National Academy of Science! Perhaps I will see how much interesting discussion and debate I can get started about the 335i's under rating and its Ring time over at Nagtroc... Not.

Both credibility and skepticism do not require universal application to every possible case of suspicion. As long as the point is not proffered that such dishonesty is unique when it isn't then it is simply not a question of credibility. It is your near obsession with my credibility that is the problem here, not my credibility.

Of course we can never forget who was right from day 1 on this and the SAE thing and who wasn't. Whose credibility is in question? Well to be fair perhaps I should say whose power of supposition is in question.
Appreciate 0