View Single Post
      03-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyichao View Post
Hi guys,

I had no prior track experience at all, and I'm looking forward to do lapping with my friends' cars. So is my friend who drives a E92 M3, we are both looking forward to track our cars any time soon.

What are the proper procedures from being a novice to an advance performance driver?

Do we have to take performance driving courses in order to track our cars?

We live in nassau area of LI, so we dont want to drive 200miles just to take a performance driving lesson.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Jay
The Skip Barber Racing School, which is based at Lime Rock, is an excellent place to learn. The instructors are absolute top of the line and tend to be a cut above the usual BMWCCA or PCA track day instructors. Most of the SBRS instructors have extensive racing experience. Spencer Pumpelly, for instance won the GT class at the Daytona 24 hour in 2008 and had a podium finish in 2009. Driving with one of these guys sitting next to you and coaching you is a great experience. Along with the main track the school uses a skid pad and two autocross courses in the infield (they can be combined into a single course with 12 turns and several elevation changes) for car control excercises.
The School provides the cars so you don't have to worry about flat spotting the tires or damaging your vehicle.

www.skipbarber.com

I am a member at Lime Rock and go there often, It is about a two hour drive from Manhattan. I have done countless laps of Lime Rock in a variety of vehicles. It is a very challenging track and is puproted to be the fastest road racing track in North America. www.limerock.com

You can also check out the SCDA (Sports Car Drivers Association).

http://www.scda1.com/

CA
captainaudio is offline   United_States