View Single Post
      03-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #19
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischeperformance View Post
a little different

looks like two plenums straight out of the kidneys. Not the big squarish ones there are two smaller tubes below those going to the motor

The setup is much different than any street car the motor is pushed way back and if its anything like the 6cyl e46 GTR the radiator and other things use the ducting you see in there to cool down
Wow, great pic. Thanks!

This sure is different. They are facilitating the air flow for the radiator through those large ducts.

Like you say, it seems like the two lines going to the intake plenum are it for the intake, which means they have eliminated the stock intake element in the bumper. I bet the two small openings down low to the sides in the ALMS bumper are for brake cooling then.

And, I can't see any evidence of a third intake path such as the one on the stock hood. The function of that opening has been an item of discussion, and I've been meaning to take some airflow measurements there for the longest time...

Do you know why they altered the initial ALMS splitter design? That had different aero elements on the sides to generate downforce. Are there any rules about how much downforce ALMS cars can generate? Did they have to reduce the downforce the original bumper would yield?

Name:  alms.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  112.5 KB