Originally Posted by ganeil
I see your knowledge of international law is on par with your military expertise.
1. Civilians die in wars. Unfortunate it is true but unless the civilians were the intended target of the operation their deaths are neither illegal nor immoral.
2. What UN resolution was violated? UNSCR 678 authorized military force be used against Iraq to enforce UNSCR 660 and all subsequent resolutions relating to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. The ceasefire agreement, UNSCR 687, was one of those subsequent resolutions. UNSCR 1441 found Iraq in material breach of its obligations under 687. By what standard was any further authorization required?
3. The difference is that Milosevic was charged with ordering his army to murder non-combatants. If the Marines did murder civilians, a fact I am not willing to concede, you would have to have evidence that they were ordered to do so and that the orders came from the White House.
4. You seem to be unwilling to accept the fact that EVERYBODY believed Iraq retained a chemical and bio weapons capability. The UN thought they did. The onus was on Iraq to prove to the satisfaction of the inspectors that they did not. They failed to do so and paid the price.
Your grasp of history is lacking as well.
Saddam used chemical weapons against Iran as well as aganst the Kurds.
Where in the Geneva Conventions are napalm and cluster bombs prohibited?
1) Read Geneva Convention on those bombs.
2) NOT everybody believed that Iraq had the WMD -- only us and UK wanted to believe -- France, Germany, China, Russia, etc did not. Actually, H. Blix came back with the report saying there is nothing there, but Bush did not like it. Do you really think you can hide the WMD overnight??? Use your brain.
3) The truth about Milosevic will never be found -- but we (the owners of the Hague court) said he did order that -- nothing was proven before he died. Now, you really think we are going to say the same about our leader??? Obviously brainwashed...
4) Saddam did not use it against Iran on Iranian teritory -- he used it against Kurds in IRAQ! And far away from killing 250k people in an instant
5) UN Resolution -- SHOW ME the resolution authorizing the use of force in 2003. Show me that the Security Councel approved what we did. Show me just if anyone else besides the US and UK supported the attack with no hesitation
6) My favorite -- civilians die in wars... So easy to say. Bet you had a smile on your face when you typed that line. Shame! Yes they die, but they should not die because we bombed a building thinking someone may have been in there then admitting a bad intel, or bombing the Chinese Embassy then saying -- ah our satellite image was old, or bombing the Belgrade TV station because it supported the current regime, just wiped off 19 young parents, and so many of those... I mean, what is stopping OBL from saying we planned to fly the plane into the military stuff, but clipped the WTC. I mean, do you really believe that we just accidentally did it??? And then, we just forgot them all and marked them as the colleteral damage like a roadside kill.
It is so obvious that you will never admit to any wrong doing of our all mighty military and our fearless leaders. And my intent is not to swing you to the other side and change your thinking at all.
However, what our Gov't has accomplished so far is:
1) Created more of the bad stuff than they elliminated
2) Caused regular Americans to constantly live in fear
3) Caused us not to be able to mention where we come from when abroad (and I remember when it used to be so powerful to say I am an American standing right next to the Eiffel Tower)
4) Will certainly cause the lives of my kids to be miserable
Unfortunately, I cannot find a single positive thing that came out of all this...
Cheers and you all sleep well now...