03-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I was thinking of it in more general terms and not specifically to the BitOne. The reason this question came about is because a lot of DSPs or amp have clipping indicators that help you set the gain. The process is also done without the speakers connected so you can't do it by ear. You would have to set the output of the head unit to some pre-determined level and then set the gains based on that reference level using the clipping indicator. I guess the other way to do it would be like what you said and just listen for distortion which is typically how I've done it in the past but I was just looking for a way to take advantage of the clipping indicator provided.
Yes, you can use a clipping indicator if the amp have one, but most often than not clipping indicators are found in processors and in line drivers and not in amps. So we are back to square one: adjust all you can the gains/levels at those devices before the amps , i.e., get the highest low level input possible before the amps. That will give you the cleanest sound possible without any added hiss, IMO.
Technic is offline   United_States