View Single Post
      02-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain

Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
09 iDrive a step backwards?

I would most definitely agree that I like the 09 iDrive much more than the old one. It's much more user friendly, and I can get to where I want in the menu much more quickly. But technologically, I think that it's a step backwards. The new iDrive's knob is not dynamic - mean that it's just a simple input device. The old one, on the other hand, changes it's behavior depending on what screen you are in. I think that this can give the drive feed back without looking at the screen. I'm not trying to get in to an argument about driving safety and weather drivers can keep their eyes on the road more with the old iDrive, but I just think that the old one is more fancy and impressive. Why did bmw spend all the time and money to develop this technology and just drop it altogether instead of improving on it?

Current: BMW F32 435iA, M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes Benz W221 S550 4matic, AMG Sports package
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes Benz W203 C230 Sportscoupe
synclastica_86 is offline   Hong Kong