View Single Post
      02-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
itofigari
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP

Dinan springs for E90 M3...pics? feedback?

Hello all,
I KNOW this topic has been discussed SEVERAL times, but then again, there is never enough information when it comes to choosing the right suspension set up for your M3 right?
Anyhow, after reading several posts and looking around, I was pretty set on either the H&R springs or the RS Sport. I guess I was leaning more towards the H&R since I had a hard time finding the right reps for RD Sport (with all the problems going on between Racing Dynamics Italy and their former rep in the US) and also because I have H&R coilovers on my Cayman S and love them in the street and on the track. Another reason of course was price: $290 for a set of springs is NOT BAD for what you get. (good drop and lower center of gravity)
...but
Yesterday I went to a presentation with Steve Dinan at BMW of Austin and I HAD to ask about their springs set up. As some might know, the drop on the Dinan springs are modest (0.5" all around). It seems that the OEM set-up allows the shocks to have travel of just 0.5", therefore if the M3 is dropped too much, the car is pretty much riding on the bump stops. NOT good. This not only makes the ride a bit harsher (who cares as long as it turns faster right?) but it will also shorten the life of the OEM shocks. I have actually also heard this from a rep selling H&R springs.
Dinan springs include custom bump stops as well as modified support guides which make up for the lack of travel distance on the original spring supports. All this parts added up, make up for 0.5" drop with out having the car ride on the bump stops.

Of course the other option would be to go with a full coilover set for $2500, but I honestly think the OEM suspension with EDC is solid, specially when tested at the track; it only need a SLIGHT drop! ...hence this post.
Does anyone have pictures and feedback of installed Dinan springs?

Thanks
itofigari is offline   United_States