United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
OMG what a retarded statement. This is what actually happens:

Sometimes, water in the atmosphere can become super-cooled (having a temperature below freezing point but remaining as a liquid) in the atmosphere. This happens when the gradient of cooling exceeds a certain constant (i.e. the water is being cooled too fast). When the super-cooled water droplets experience some external disturbance, for example, the striking of an aircraft's wing, it rapidly takes on a crystal structure.The real issue is when ice starts to form and accumulate on the wings as it strikes those super-cooled water droplets. This create micro turbulence on the wing surface that can reduce lift generated. Basically, ice prevents the air from "sticking" to the wing (this is analogous to the hydrodynamics of a shark's skin). So, prop or no prop, all planes can be affected by this issue. The only way to counter that is the use of a de-icing system.
Not saying I agree or disagree but OP made the valid point that prop planes fly lower than turbine-engined aircraft which makes them more susceptible to this icing scenario.

Jet Black, 6MT, CW Pkg, PS, iPod, Style 189 Wheels