View Single Post
      06-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #27
IDBMW
Captain

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Not sure where the idea that there were not spills during Katrina came from:

Aug.-Sept., New Orleans, Louisiana: The Coast Guard estimated that more than 7 million gallons of oil were spilled during Hurricane Katrina from various sources, including pipelines, storage tanks and industrial plants.

This is from: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001451.html

Offshore drillling is far from it's peak so you would expect fewer incidents. I don't believe it when the oil industry tells me they have technology that has mitigated the risk. I lived in Houston for 25 yrs up until 4 yrs ago and spent a lot of time on the water. There are still lots of oil dollops floating about and on the beach. I had to keep cleaners in the truck to do my waders and the boat hull after the trip. Hardly pristine.

When it comes to taking care of us, are we really going to believe Exxon and W?
The link says
2005Aug.-Sept., New Orleans, Louisiana: The Coast Guard estimated that more than 7 million gallons of oil were spilled during Hurricane Katrina from various sources, including pipelines, storage tanks and industrial plants “.

I specifically said “The environmentalist will come out and complain about spills but off the Gulf coast there was no oil spilled when Katrina came through. I think we are better able to manage the oil wells these days”.

Your reference mentions oil spills including pipelines, storage tanks and industrial plants”. These spills are not from drilling off the coast they are from moving and storing the oil. That can happen from oil we bring in from the middle east of oil we drill off shore so it is not directly related to drilling off the Gulf Coast.