Thread: Gas Prices
View Single Post
      08-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #68
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Drives: F80 YMB

Hybrid diesels? If they work. Seem like a lot of hardware to me. Had we been driving fuel efficient vehicles, similar to Euro, for the past 5 or 10 years we would not be in this pickle. Hindsight is 20-20. But imagine what we will be saying 5 or 10 years from now if we do not start making sensible changes. I was surprised, shocked really, when walking by the TV with the Daily Show (aka John Stewart) that the wife was flipping by, and Trent Lott was being interviewed, and he said something to the effect that we have got to wise up and switch from SUVs and pickups. What a sea change; Trent Lott dumping on gas hogs! That was the stimulus for the conversation with my neighbor (I was driving my fuel efficient Kubota diesel tractor at the time -- lord help us if we have to start driving those to work... ) Maybe it was something he drank in the NY water. BMWNA needs to get him a test drive in an E90. Or an X5 with a diesel -- I must say that seems like such a sensible market, SUVs with diesels. Soccer moms are tougher than auto companies give them credit for. How does that play in Euro? What is the engine mix for the Xs over there (and Oz and RSA...)?