View Single Post
      01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #95
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Well, the connection between Saddam and 9/11 is disputable, which is to say unclear. But there is no denying that Saddam and Iraq was a state-sponsor of terror, meaning that Iraq was connected to Al Quaeda through financial support mainly (that, in and of itself, is a main reason why Al Quaeda had a strong presence in Iraq).

As for the report, surely the "overall" threat has worsened (that's what happens in war) but my comment was focused purely at the threat US citizens in their picket fenced houses face from Islamic terrorists. In other words, is it more or less safe to fly on airplanes five years after 9/11? That report (or, I should, say "article") was very vague on what it meant by the "overall" threat. Finally, I would be curious to see what the report would say now, after the surge has had an impact.

Regardless, I would agree that linking Saddam with 9/11 was a political play. I don't know if he had any financial involvement but, again, there was no question that Saddam harbored Al Quaeda.

Here's what Fox News had to say about the LATEST national intelligence istemate regarding the middle east:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289698,00.html

I couldn't find the actual document, unfortunately, but I'll keep digging.

As for the whole Iraq/Al Quaeda thing, I'm under the impression that the government had absolutely nothing to do with Al Quaeda, and infact Osama wanted Saddams head. If I'm not mistaken, part of the reason Al Quaeda turned against us is when we wouldn't let them help us during the first gulf war. Osama was offended that the U.S. (his former allies) would shun him, and then run an operation off of his home turf (Saudi Arabia).

I could be mistaken, but that's how I remember things. I've certainly never seen anything to indicate any links between Al Quaeda and Iraq. I'm pretty sure that's why Cheney and co. stopped making those accusations shortly after the war started, and then went back to deny having ever tried to make those false links.

Again, it's all a matter of opinion, and the individual in question, as to real safety. I'm 11 miles out of Manhattan, which puts me more at risk than your average individual living is Missouri or Wisconsin. I don't think anyone's safety on an airplane has gone downhill. However, I'm of the mind that the mishandling of the Iraq invasion hasn't really done anything to make us more secure. If anything, I believe it's made things worse, by helping to create a new generation of Islamic Terrorists who have it out for the US.

PS:I'm blind, I just noticed that the link to the report is in the Fox News article I linked.