View Single Post
      12-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch

Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
Didnt wanna start another thread so i'll just continue this. Im about this close on buying my new camera gear:

Nikon D40
18-200mm VR
Nikon SB-400 AF
Opteka Battery Pack Grip
You are off to a perfect start. Just some thoughts..

-Why not the d40x?
-18-200vr is great, you're right; it is a do it all lens, except in low light sans flash. Note that the on-camera flash is not compatible with the lens - you'll get a darker halo at the bottom of your picture where the body of the lens has blocked the flash path.
-I owned the sb400 and returned it for the sb800. It is a EXCELLENT little flash, but only useful for medium to small sized rooms indoors. It will not help you outdoors, and at something like a wedding, it will be near useless. If you still want to get it, there is a great little trick to diffuse the flash and it works great. Get a white film canister (the ones that are not totally opaque) and then cut the flat end off, and then cut a slice down the length. You'll have a great little "C"-shaped extrusion that clamps itself over the flash head. It really does work great. Since you do have access to a sb600, that should do the trick. The sb800 is not stronger than the 600, and only lacks multiflash capability. IMO the sb600 worth the $100 more over the 400.
-You really wont need the grip. Even with the 18-200vr the weighting is not bad at all - quite balanced. I'd recommend putting the money into a 8gb SDHC (kingston) card or the larger flash. Buy only one extra nikon battery. The batteries last FOREVER in these cameras. I can shoot a thousand pictures on one battery. Honestly, even buying a second battery is overkill - they're that good.
-If you dont mind a slightly smaller SD card, take a serious look at the EYE-Fi cards. The wifi thing on there is awesome. I just get back after shooting, turn my camera on, and a little while later my pictures have been sent to a pre-set directory on my hard drive. Its really slick. I think they make 4gb ones now, although I'm not sure. Do a google search for their website.

Good luck, you're going to love it! The pics it takes makes you look like a pro. Try starting out on aperture mode. I think it takes nicer pics than AUTO and its not hard to learn.