10-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP

M-DCT or short shifter on a M6 M3 for the track

Hello people,
I am about to order a 2009 E90 M3, and currently drive (and track very often) a 2006 Cayman S. I have tested teh new 911 with the Porsche PDK double clutch transmission and must say it is lighting quick in response...only thing I did not like is that there are no paddles! The gears are shifted on + - "buttons" on the steering wheel?? Very strange choice from the people at Stuttgart, but oh well, that does not concern me much now, since I have decided to get the M3 sedan (about to have a kid so I need a four door).
Anyhow, I will probably go to the dealer tomorrow to test the M-DCT (also called DKG??)...I am just not sure how racing this transmission is! I will be tracking my M3 AT least once a month therefore it would suck to be disappointed....not to mention all the hours I have spent perfecting heel and toe techniques.
I have read many threads (and all have been useful, thanks to all) but I would like if possible to hear from someone that races ocationally or is a track rat like myself.
Otherwise, I was just thinking of getting a short shifter and ordering the car with the M6.

BTW, I AM GETTING THE AWESOME BUT VERY EXPENSIVE PERFORMANCE SteeRING WHEEL